[WMCEE-l] Some toughs about the scope, selection of participants and official language of the CEE Meetings.

Mykola Kozlenko mycola-k at ukr.net
Sat Sep 30 22:22:34 CEST 2017

Hi,

I will comment on it as the discussion already started here.

1. Underrepresented communities. From the experience of past years, few countries are almost completely missing: Lithuania (quite absent offline but somewhat active online), Slovenia (same as Lithuania), Bosnia (Bosnian language community, while Serbian-language community is more active), Cyprus (only few people active) and Montenegro (no signs of any active community), with Romania, Croatia and Kazakhstan semi-active. Plus some minority languages for which we never made any serious outreach.

2. I think that it is important to keep at least 2 scholarships for smaller communities. The fact that these communities are small means that they are unable to provide scholarships to their members like bigger chapters (WMPL, WMEE etc.) do. Giving only one scholarship make these communities quite dependent on one person (having one leader is not always obvious, it might cause severe conflicts if people disagree with this leader or, on the contrary, may create a strong dependence if people lead this leader decide on anything international).

3. I think that there are more disadvantages than advantages of this. People able to make synchronised translations of Wikimedia terms may be extremely hard to find: we need them to be highly proficient in Russian (pretty easy to find in, say, Armenia, but hardly available, say, in Greece) and not to make mistakes with Wikimedia terms (WMF tried hiring non-Wikimedia translators, they failed to translate even simple Wikimedia terms like "chapter" and wrote translations that were rather hard to understand). This is unlikely to be beneficial to more than a dozen of people (those who speak Russian better than English, given the CEE demography there are no more than 5 countries with such situation), but this is likely to frustrate more than a dozen (those who don't speak Russian or associate it with not that happy Communist past of the region). And well, I am a bit surprised to hear about Albanians who prefer Russian to English, this seems very uncommon. Having met CEE people at a number of event, I recall meeting just a couple of people who were not from Russia AND preferred speaking Russian to speaking English. I think we should carefully evaluate if there is a significant need for such translation.

Best regards,
Mykola (NickK)
Wikimedia Ukraine