[WMCEE-l] Some toughs about the scope, selection of participants and official language of the CEE Meetings.

Samat samat78 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 20:38:20 CEST 2017

Dear Tomasz,

Thank you for your detailed review of the situation and recommendations for
the future. I found them very useful and constructive.

Basically, I can agree with you proposal. I have only a few additional
thoughts:
* We could count the communities (existing Wikimedia language communities
and countries) in the CEE region, and I would recommend to make a list of
all potential participant. Would be nice to see the actual coverage of CEE
conference, and which communities we "left out" until now.
* I would recommend to consider limiting the number of externally (for
example by chapters) or self-funded participants as well, because of
organizational and balance reasons. For example to additional two people
per community.
* I understand your idea for the Russian as second official language, it
sounds reasonable. But I am personally a little bit worried about it. I am
the last generation who (obligatory) "studied" Russian language in Hungary
(without any success), people only 1 year younger than me didn't do. I know
only very few active Hungarian Wikipedians, who can communicate in Russian
language. I am afraid, the professional simultaneous translation makes the
conferences costly, the presentations (with translation) will be harder to
follow and question&answer parts will be longer/harder. But I can accept
this solution if there would be consensus about it.

Best regards,
Tamás / Samat