[WMCEE-l] WM CEE Newsletter proposed - ideas collected

vassia atanassova vassia.atanassova at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 20:55:54 CEST 2017

*tl;dr We have a new baby born in the CEE wikiverse. Help it makes its
first steps. :)*

One of the outcomes of the last day's pre-lunch spontaneous session during
the CEE Meeting in Warsaw was the idea of establishment of a CEE
Newsletter. Partners in this crime are Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska, Nat
Tymkiv, Tomasz Ganicz, Kaarel Vaidla and Yours Trolly :) , with the moral
support of the attending La Kritzolina, Kalliope Tsouroupidou and Vahid
Masrour, and of course, Wozzy and Cancunchyk.

This endeavour stems from the observation that in the last years more CEE
countries and more often are featured in the Wiki Education and GLAM
newsletters, and this probably is an indicator that we have even more
stories to share - between us and with the world - in other areas of our
Wikimedian work. (See the stat in Wikimedia CEE Meeting
2017/Programme/Submission/Do we want (need) a CEE newsletter?
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2017/Programme/Submission/Do_we_want_%28need%29_a_CEE_newsletter%3F>
).

The CEE Newsletter can help us collect in a more consistent, reachable,
reusable way stories and good practices developed in the region. It can
keep us informed of our ongoing initiatives and be a valuable venue for
publicity and reporting purposes, not only in the areas of GLAM and
education, but also other institutional collaborations, contests and
challenges, wiki expeditions, editathons and other live events, important
milestones and anniversaries, notable media appearances, gender gap
activities, trainings, software tools developed in the CEE region, tips for
useful and reusable Wikidata queries, and many more.

To make the maintenance a bit easier, the CEE Newsletter can feature all
the materials submitted to both the GLAM and Educational newsletter, thus
serving yet another target group on a minimal additional cost of effort and
time.

It also aims to contain the stories that the local CEE volunteers and media
relations staffers can provided as materials for publication by the 20th of
the month. This makes the newsletter a place for practicing storytelling
and reporting skills, i.e. a tool valuable in its own way.

The editorial team (currently of 5 and welcoming new members) will be
responsible for maintaining the overall consistent look and feel of the
newsletter and reaching out to potential authors from the region. There is
also an idea for a "Featured country / language" every month, as well as an
idea for recruiting volunteers to translate the newsletter articles to
Russian and optionally other languages.

Please comment on the Meta talk page (or here)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Central_and_Eastern_Europe#WM_CEE_Newsletter_-_ideas_collected

Bests,

Vassia / Spiritia (Yours Trolly :) )