[WMCEE-l] European Science Photo Competition 2015 [must read!]

Ivo Kruusamägi ivo.kruusamagi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 00:38:43 CEST 2015

Just as I also told with my HELP presentation
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/HELP_presentation_CEE-meeting-2015.pdf>
we
could all successfully collect a lot of images without any prizes at all.

ESPC is marketed as a competition. With a competition we do expect at least
some prizes -- so those are provided in European level. Local teams could
give out as many prizes as they like, but this is not mandatory. It is all
up to them if they want to give out prizes or not.

Wikipedia is an international project and we can easily reach out to all
the people around the globe (who have access to Internet). If this is an
European competition, then at least I think that all the people in Europe
should have chance to participate.

Having an upload form is fairly independent from the existence of local
team. So we could easily create a possibility for everyone to participate
from every corner of this continent even when the local wikipedians are not
interested to join in and help out with that. It isn't the best possible
solution, but it could be done.

So, we hope to get as many local teams as possible to work with the
promotion and image selection. In other countries we'll provide upload link
and some minimal promotion to give a chance to take part of it to
interested locals.

Regards
Ivo