[WMCEE-l] CEE Spring - schedule

Kaarel Vaidla kaarel at wikimedia.ee
Mon Mar 9 23:37:26 CET 2015

Dear all,

Thank you for further discussion on the topic!
The problem with weekly country/category based competition restrictions is
the possibility that it may not be possible for contributors to write on
the topic they would actually like to write about in the framework of the
competition (e.g. hasty times at work). This problem hits small Wikipedias
with small community the hardest (and we do have such Wikipedias in the
region).
As a result I would opt for *promotion weeks* according to proposed
calendar instead of limiting topics for editing. For example we can have
"did you know an interesting fact about some country or article about very
known thing in a country does not exist / is a stub in our wiki?" Facebook
posts inviting people to learn more through article creation/translation.
As with article lists we only make suggestions I propose that we will make
only suggestion through promotion to edit about a country, but not
restricting competition wise other edits.
Nevertheless, this does not really push people to edit about unknown
countries. As I proposed we could have a point system to encourage this. An
interesting system is used in Ukraine that mixes quantitative and
qualitative metrics (jury vote increases the multiplier for quantitative
result - Ukrainians are welcome to provide further explanation), but it
seems that introducing some type of country related multipliers to the
evaluation would make the system too complicated.
What I suggest, however, is that maybe we can push people to write about
different countries with special prizes for not so well covered countries.
What do you think?
We can also have somewhat different models in every country and use the
option that seems to fit our local contributor community the best. Looking
forward to further discussion!

Best regards,
Kaarel Vaidla
Wikimedia Eesti