[WMCEE-l] CEE Spring - schedule

Natalia antyterra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:04:10 CET 2015

On Polish Wikipedia we organize regular weekly contests dedicated to a
specific topic (very often - to a country or a region). And our experience
shows that it works pretty well. Contestants like to focus on one area of
knowledge for a short period of time  and then switch to another - it keeps
them interested, it motivates them to search sources about different
subjects and it has a great educational value, it makes people curious
about different topics. If we dedicate the whole period to the whole region
we risk that editors will write only about some countries, those that they
already know well (maybe only about their own country). And in my opinion
one of the greatest things about CEE Spring is that it has the potential to
give people a chance to discover interesting, fascinating things about the
countries they know little about. Let's say that I want to participate in
the contest. I have a great book about Czech Cinema (I actually really do
:) ). I may spend 10 weeks writing articles about that. But if we choose to
dedicate weeks to different countries I will be forced to search sources
about the culture of all countries of the region, and who knows what great
discoveries await me on that road :)
If we dedicate every week to a different country we minimize the risk that
there will be little or no new articles about some countries on some
Wikipedias. So I'm with Polimerek here.

Magalia