[WMCEE-l] CEE Wiki Camp 2015

Kiril Simeonovski kiril.simeonovski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:59:48 CET 2015

Dear friends,

I am pleased to inform you that the Executive Board of Shared Knowledge
unanimously approved the proposal to organise the CEE Wiki Camp 2015 in
Macedonia this summer.

The idea originates from the success of Wiki Camp Vanadzor 2014 which took
place in Armenia. CEE WIki Camp 2015 is planned to be a gathering of people
from all countries across the CEE region, who will work together on
deepening the mutual cooperation and promoting the values of the Wikimedia
movement through participating in public events (e.g. educational
workshops, edit-a-thons), organising Wikiexpeditions and photographic
hunts, visiting GLAM institutions and collaborating on other activities
that will benefit the global community.

>From the very beginning, it is important to define the following important
aspects for this event: 1) participation, 2) dates, 3) scope and 4)
funding. I will make a brief overview for all of these aspects. Your
comments are welcome!

*Participation. *CEE Wiki Camp 2015 is planned as a successive event of the
CEE WIki Spring 2015, which will gather the best contributors in the
project from every participating country in the region. We plan to
accommodate 50-60 people or about 2-3 persons per country.

*Dates*. The determination of the dates for the camp depends on the
schedule of other events concerning the region and the global movement such
as:
* CEE Wiki Spring 2015 (21 March-31 May 2015);
* Serbian Wiki Conference 2015 (spring 2015);
* Wiki Camp 2015 in Armenia (21 June-4 July 2015 and 16-29 August 2015);
* Wikimania 2015 (15-19 July 2015).

It is apparent that the best period for organising the camp is the end of
July and the beginning of August. Your thoughts on the number of days are
particularly appreciated since it will help us determine the exact dates
for the camp.

*Scope*. As stated in the introduction above, the camp will involve various
mission-aligned activities such as workshops, edit-a-thons, photographic
hunts, Wikiexpeditions, sightseeing tours and visiting of GLAM
institutions. Depending on the time available, we will make a schedule that
will include as many single events as possible.

*Funding*. Our plan is to request a grant from the WMF to cover most of the
expenses for the camp. We would also appreciate any support from the
chapters in the region.

We are going to create the corresponding pages on Meta in the following
days, where we can move on with the discussions regarding the camp. Please
also do not forget this mailing list!

Best regards,
Kiril Simeonovski
President of Shared Knowledge