[WMCEE-l] GAC/IEG application block

Jan Loužek jan.louzek at wikimedia.cz
Wed Jan 21 16:12:52 CET 2015

Kaarel,

I've been on a meeting with the Polish Institute today and we concluded that a mutal contest should be supported by WMCEE Spring 2015. There will be a proessional (WWII, due to the anniversary of 70 years from liberation this year) level and a general one.

I made quite a long conclusion about this (but so far I haven't translated this into English, it will be done and sent to this list as well), and the conclusion was sent to our mailing list. That is why Juandev asked couple of questions.

So in the end, I hope CEE Spring will work and we will have a good event here in Prague.

Jan Loužek (Aktron)
Wikimedia Czech Republic
chairman

> Od: Kaarel Vaidla <kaarel at wikimedia.ee>
> Komu: A list for Wikimedians from Central and Eastern Europe <wmcee-l at tools.wikimedia.pl>
> Datum: 21.01.2015 15:26
> Předmět: Re: [WMCEE-l] GAC/IEG application block

Dear all,I thank Susanna Mkrtchyan for sharing her thoughts and concerns!For a further discussion I would like to outline some of the aspects of two possible formats for the WMCEE Spring 2015:1) The original idea was to create an event, where active editing would take place in the largest possible number of Wikipedias in the region. The vision of such event was to create a unity in the region also on the level of Wikipedias and to increase region relevant content in all related Wikipedias.The pros of this format (in my opinion) are: a. diversity of content contributed, b. notability of the effort = better outreach, c. increased absolute numbers of participation.The cons of this format (in my opinion) are: a. complexity of the event structure, b. increased need for human and time resources, c. increased risks caused by the extent of the project.2) Susanna Mkrtchyan from Wikimedia Armenia has now proposed a slightly different approach to the event, with an emphasis on limited n
 umber of Wikipedias during one event. The vision of such event is to increase regional collaboration through an event with a less-confusing and therefore hopefully more effective structure (did I understand correctly?).The pros of this format (in my opinion) are: a. clarity of structure, b. decreased need for human and financial resources, c. reduced risks through decreased extent of the project.The cons of this format (in my opinion) are: a. decreased outreach, b. decreased participation, c. reduced diversity and amount of content contributed.Personally I believe that if we want to make WMCEE work as an integrated whole we should continue with the original format and try to organise the event in the largest possible number of wikis (we already have contacts from 11 countries in the region listed on the project contact page <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Spring_2015/Contacts> !) On the other hand, I do understand concerns of Susanna Mkrtchyan and p
 roblems related to organising a large scale project. Piloting the project on a smaller scale is a usual, relevant and reasonable approach.Nevertheless, I would like to point out that this type of collaboration weeks and months have already tried out by Wikimedia Ukraine, Armenia, Estonia etc. I would also like to avoid the flaws made during the organisation of article contribution month on Greece (decided on Wikimania 2014 and organised only by 2 chapters / wikis) and therefore I would like to get a larger part of the region involved.I would like to thank Snezana Strkovska for participating in the discussion and sharing her opinion. What I would like even more is to see others following her lead and contributing their opinions to the discussion, so we can consider the largest possible number of opinions in making the decision of how to proceed with the project.Looking forward to hearing from you all soon!Best regards,Kaarel Vaidla
Wikimedia Eesti
Executive director
Dear WMCEE friends, I would like to share with some ideas regarding to WMCEE Spring. In order to avoid confusion, I think it will be better to announce one month for one country. For example in March all WMCEE wikipedians will develop the topics about  Estonia, April will be devoted to Greece and May to Poland,.... And one of this countries will be choosen as host of Wiki Camp for winners. If we'll succeed, then for 2016 we will announce second triple of countries. Wikimedia Armenia with pleasure will share our experience of organizing of Wiki Camp. Best regards,Susanna.
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Kaarel Vaidla <kaarel at wikimedia.ee <kaarel at wikimedia.ee>> wrote:
Dear all,I thank Tomasz Ganicz for drawing attention to the discussion in WIkimedia-l list, as well as to Alex Wang for her comments on the subject! This has been most helpful!I apologize for the delay in answering to WMCEE related letters, but I hope that we can continue with discussions in a more rapid manner.Firstly, I would like to clarify one subject that has brought about some confusion: there are actually 2 separate events planned for WMCEE for this year.1) WMCEE Spring <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Spring_2015> - a collaboration initiative spreading over all Wikipedias in the region and supporting the creation of region related articles in all those Wikipedias. Although User:Kaarel Vaidla (WM EE) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kaarel_Vaidla_(WM_EE)> created the event page and has been engaged with its further development, it does not mean that it is a collaboration event organised completely by Wikimedia Eesti. Of course, as one of the establi
 shed chapters in the region, we will allocate some of our time and financial resources tfor WMCEE Spring, but we would like to see more active approach from other groups in the region. In its essence WMCEE Spring is not a meeting, but an on-wiki collaboration initiative, although a possible meeting of Wikipedians of the region has been discussed. As to the dates of this event, we would like to see it to begin on the 20th of March, as to coincide with the actual beginning of Spring. The end dates and possible meeting dates are not clear and there is room for discussion.2) WMCEE Retreat 2015 <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2015> - a physical meeting of Wikimedians in the region, similar to 2012 edition in Belgrade <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2012>, 2013 edition in Modra <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2013> and 2014 edition in Kyiv <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2014>. This event o
 rganised this year mostly by WIkimedia Eesti, but content-wise open for external contributions. According to current plan this event will take place in the end of August or in the beginning of September.Shortly, there are 2 separate events not to be confused!Secondly, it is correct WMCEE Spring will be organised during the launch of Inspire Campaign, which rises some funding related issues for this event. As WMCEE Retreat is planned for August or September, I think that we have time for negotiating questions related to further WMF funding (if needed) after the first Inspire Campaign period. As to WMCEE Spring, we have not yet determined what are the funding needs for this event <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Spring_2015/Budget>. I propose that we could have a hangout or skype session in order to have a more effective discussion. What do you think? I have created a doodle <http://doodle.com/4zaer3xs4wwzvsd9> to simplify the process of finding a suitable time.
  Any other suggestions are more than welcome!I also think that as Wikimedia Eesti is already organising the WMCEE meeting this year, we would not be so interested in organising WikiCamp-like event for the winners of WMCEE Spring. I do think that WMCEE should be locally visible in more than one country during the year. I believe that Wikimedia Eesti is already reaching the outreach effect with the meeting and organising WMCEE Spring final event here would somewhat be a waste of resources. Any thoughts?I would like to thank you all for your kind attention and hope to see a more active CEE Wikimedia wise!Best regards,Kaarel Vaidla
Wikimedia Eesti
Executive director
Hi All,I just joined this list so apologies for a delayed response to this question around grant application timing. As Tomasz mentioned, Project and Event Grants will be focused on gender gap issues February 1-April 30th. However, if there is a time-sensitive request, they will be considered during this period. Please do let me know if, and approximately when, the organizers of CEE Spring 2015 plan to submit a grant request and I will work with you on the review process. Cheers,Alex