[WMCEE-l] GAC/IEG application block

Kaarel Vaidla kaarel at wikimedia.ee
Tue Jan 20 11:29:44 CET 2015

Dear all,

I thank Tomasz Ganicz for drawing attention to the discussion in
WIkimedia-l list, as well as to Alex Wang for her comments on the subject!
This has been most helpful!
I apologize for the delay in answering to WMCEE related letters, but I hope
that we can continue with discussions in a more rapid manner.

Firstly, I would like to clarify one subject that has brought about some
confusion: *there are actually 2 separate events planned for WMCEE for this
year*.
1) *WMCEE Spring
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Spring_2015>* - a
collaboration initiative spreading over all Wikipedias in the region and
supporting the creation of region related articles in all those Wikipedias.
Although User:Kaarel Vaidla (WM EE)
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kaarel_Vaidla_(WM_EE)> created the
event page and has been engaged with its further development, it does not
mean that it is a collaboration event organised completely by Wikimedia
Eesti. Of course, as one of the established chapters in the region, we will
allocate some of our time and financial resources tfor WMCEE Spring, but we
would like to see more active approach from other groups in the region. *In
its essence WMCEE Spring is not a meeting, but an on-wiki collaboration
initiative*, although a possible meeting of Wikipedians of the region has
been discussed. As to the dates of this event, we would like to see it to
begin on the 20th of March, as to coincide with the actual beginning of
Spring. The end dates and possible meeting dates are not clear and there is
room for discussion.
2) *WMCEE Retreat 2015*
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2015> - a physical
meeting of Wikimedians in the region, similar to 2012 edition in Belgrade
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2012>, 2013 edition
in Modra <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2013> and 2014
edition in Kyiv <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2014>.
This event organised this year mostly by WIkimedia Eesti, but content-wise
open for external contributions. According to current plan *this event will
take place in the end of August or in the beginning of September*.
Shortly, *there are 2 separate events not to be confused*!

Secondly, *it is correct WMCEE Spring will be organised during the launch
of Inspire Campaign*, which rises some funding related issues for this
event. As WMCEE Retreat is planned for August or September, I think that we
have time for negotiating questions related to further WMF funding (if
needed) after the first Inspire Campaign period.
As to WMCEE Spring, we have not yet determined what are *the funding needs
for this event*
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Spring_2015/Budget>. I
propose that we could have a *hangout or skype session* in order to have a
more effective discussion. What do you think? I have *created a doodle*
<http://doodle.com/4zaer3xs4wwzvsd9> to simplify the process of finding a
suitable time. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
I also think that as Wikimedia Eesti is already organising the WMCEE
meeting this year, we would not be so interested in organising
WikiCamp-like event for the winners of WMCEE Spring. I do think that WMCEE
should be locally visible in more than one country during the year. I
believe that Wikimedia Eesti is already reaching the outreach effect with
the meeting and organising WMCEE Spring final event here would somewhat be
a waste of resources. Any thoughts?

I would like to thank you all for your kind attention and hope to see a
more active CEE Wikimedia wise!

Best regards,
Kaarel Vaidla
Wikimedia Eesti