[WMCEE-l] Meeting - mutual collaboration program

Raul Veede raul.veede at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 15:42:32 CEST 2013

On "Reciprocal writing of wikipedia articles about another country /
culture.": we've done this in cooperation with Ukrainians and it worked
pretty well. The numbers weren't extremely high but the effect was
considerable (especially for an event where the prizes weren't expensive
trips to another country but souvenirs and sweets). We're planning to
repeat it this year with Armenia.

On "Don't do this at home": I can talk about how you should not organize a
conference, an edit-a-thon or an article competition, cooperate with small
societies or, indeed, make an annual grant application. If anyone could
avoid our mistakes I'd feel we've got something good for our pains. But it
would work much better if the others would chime in with their own bad
experiences that might help the others (including us).

It would be nice if we could discuss the legal aspects of copyright law:
there are important differences between CEE countries but there are also
similar problems. And I believe many of us (including WMEE) can look up to
Armenians.

In the light of certain recent discussions (ahem), it might be also wise to
sit down and talk about the measurement of our work and maintaining a good
ratio of content/admin costs. We all might have to use these things to
justify our work some day and, well, they're just good things to give a
thought about. It could just be a little round table or whatever we'd like
to call it.

Raul

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Michal Matúšov <michal.matusov at wikimedia.sk