[WMCEE-l] CEE Meeting cancelled?

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 8 01:50:22 CEST 2013

Hello, everyone.

I'm beginning to think the CEE meeting[0] should be considered cancelled.
 Here's why:

1. It is just barely more than 1 month away, and despite several reminders
(not just by me), a grant proposal has not yet been submitted to WMF for
consideration.  The draft proposal[1] does not provide enough specifics to
begin reviewing, and has not been edited since July.

2. The program page[2] has seen almost no discussion, just a number of
me-too votes.  Apparently, speakers were invited based on these votes, but
the talk descriptions are merely vague titles, e.g. "Photo contest in
Wikimedia environment", or "GLAM".

3. The main (and only?) local organizer is unresponsive for weeks at a
time[3].

4. On-list discussions seem to involve no more than 3-4 people.  Repeated
calls by the 3-4 who care for others to participate go unanswered.  My
interpretation: the vast majority of CEE Wikimedians on the list just don't
care very much about this event -- whether it happens at all, or what it
consists of if it does.

Given all this, I have serious doubts about whether it would be responsible
to fund this event.  If you think I'm wrong, please offer your perspective,
in light of the above.

Thanks,

   Asaf

[0] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2013
[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Wikimedia_Slovakia/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2013
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2013/Program
[3] I'm sure it's not by choice!  I don't blame KuboF at all.  I am,
however, pointing out at a crucial weakness of organizing capacity, given
KuboF's limited availability.

--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org