[WMCEE-l] Europian Union Info Center

Raul Veede raul.veede at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:48:07 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Marcin Cieslak <marcin at cieslak.name> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM,  <aktron at centrum.cz> wrote:> I know
> thi might not be the very problem, but you might have found some
>> people who can see it. At least things like this are always problematic. We
>> in WMCZ met some people from Czech Pirate Party and we share some views
>> (copyright laws), but it is clearly problematic for us to cooperate more.
>
> But we might need to act whenever issues pertaining our projects are on stake.
> We should discuss whether, how and how much do we want to engage ourselves.

An excellent idea. Wikipedia adheres to neutrality and objectivity,
and it means we cannot really take sides on politics, even if an
overwhelming majority of editors in a particular community abhors some
particular political group. Our agenda is to provide accurate and
sufficient information for people to make up their minds themselves.
Yet Wikipedia also exists in a society, not outside of it, which means
we have to take a stand sometimes on social issues that concern our
own ability to function - mostly pertaining to freedom of speech,
freedom of knowledge, etc. (Also, CEE Wikipedias function in
relatively small languages, societies and cultures, giving us somewhat
more influence than we could have elsewhere - after all, there are
languages where Wikipedia is the biggest encyclopedia already; this
brings us additional social responsibility.) We need to find a balance
between those two urges. An exchange of our best practices would
definitely benefit the whole movement.

Concerning the date, I would very very much like it if there was
finally a decision. Any decision. I'm trying to organize several
events in May and it is quite painful to keep all options open,
waiting and waiting. Just pick a date and stick to it.

Raul,
impatient,
WMEE