[WMCEE-l] CEE meeting planning – programme

Raul Veede raul.veede at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:36:15 CEST 2012

1.what is meant by "organizational management", is it very different from
the "chapter professionalization" session?

As can be seen from Kiril's answer already, there are organizational issues
in local Wikipedias even without a chapter - e.g., the art of gaining (and
keeping) new editors and conflict resolution in the community. Also,
although professionalization is an important part in running a chapter, it
is not everything, and it certainly means very different things for a small
chapter than for the big and financially independent chapters. One of the
best ways for organizational growth and better management with low
financial costs is engaging volunteers in chapter work, running projects
and events, but I'm not very much convinced our "professional chapters"
would call it professionalization. It's more like anti-professionalization.

2. Also, do you think it makes much sense to discuss fundraising or
finances in detail when the CEE meeting comes after the FDC deadline and
most involved chapters will not do a big fundraising? But perhaps you meant
here a session to discuss other ways to get money (e.g. grants) and the
best ways to manage spending it?

I doubt if I'll ever see a fundraising in Estonia, but we still have
financial issues to mind. E.g., the question of gaining alternative local
financing is important in several ways, not least because it is part of our
outreach: if you send out a message like that and get people's response,
then they're also emotionally engaged with Wikipedia. It generates goodwill
in the society which might very well end in institutional support, and also
wider influx of new users and editors.

3. To be a bit constructive, if you feel that the programme could benefit
from someone talking about how to set up chapters and user groups either in
a session or as a working group on the second day, the newly renamed
Affiliations Committee will likely be able to send someone if invited.

I like that. Let them send you.

Raul