[WMCEE-l] CEE meeting planning

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 23 22:44:24 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Mile Kiš <m.mikym at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems the grant application depends mostly on the travel expenses. We
>> cannot estimate those without knowing how many people will need help with
>> their tickets. And we can't tell that without knowing how many people will
>> actually step in front of the others and say something. Otherwise, we're
>> going to have a wonderful program with a lot of topics on which no one will
>> speak.
>

> My recent experience with global event tell me that we never can be 100%
> sure how we will need for travel. Because that we have cash reserves, and
> we will send it back if we do not spent it. So war several chapters told
> they have money for travel.  I hope WMF can cover travel costs. (Asaf, what
> you think about this?)

Yes.  On the one hand, don't wait to finalize travel information, because
that'll never be ready on time, and ticket prices go up.  On the other
hand, the WMF would only fund this meeting if it is clear there is a good
chance all this airfare would buy some meaningful mission-aligned goals,
beyond Wikimedians hanging out together, which is admittedly always fun. :)

So I would second Johannes -- the most important thing is to focus on _a
few_ topics/goals that you feel CEE delegates need to (and are able to)
work on, and make a good case for it.

And while we _do_ want, in principle, maximal representation, we also want
_meaningful_ representation (or rather, meaningful *participation*), i.e.
we want to find a balance between costs and benefits.  This means every
delegate should have a strong track record justifying the expense.  For
example, if there's only one active volunteer from Ruritania[1], it doesn't
make sense to have two delegates, just for the sake of symmetry.  Agreed?

Cheers,

    Asaf

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruritania
--