[Koalicja-l] Fwd: A Big Task - A Big Ask

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska b.michalska w bu.uni.torun.pl
Śro, 3 Lip 2013, 13:46:05 CEST

----- Przekazana wiadomość od: campaigns w openrightsgroup.org -----
     Data: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 06:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
       Od: Ed Paton-Williams - ORG <campaigns w openrightsgroup.org>
    Temat: A Big Task - A Big Ask
       Do: bozena w umk.pl

Dear Bozena Michalska,

We've got a huge challenge on our hands.

You've probably read about Edward Snowden's leaks revealing the NSA's
PRISM and GCHQ's Tempora mass surveillance programmes.

Here in the ORG office, they've managed to both shock us and confirm
our worst suspicions.

We now know the US can monitor what up to 95% of the world's
population does online. If you use the services provided by US firms
like Google, Skype and Facebook and you're a non-American outside the
USA, the US Government simply doesn't accept your right to privacy.

And US intelligence shares what they learn from their snooping with the UK.

Not wanting to be outdone, the UK has been spying on the web's 2
billion users and working with the US to analyse the data.

The problem here is RIPA - the British law governing surveillance and
enabling Tempora. No-one's broken any laws because the law's already
broken. So we badly need to reform RIPA.

By abusing loopholes in RIPA, GCHQ is tapping undersea cables to
intercept staggering quantities of people's web data as it enters
Britain. They're then storing all that data for 3 days and the
metadata for 30 days. [1]

You might well be thinking, "The Home Office were a bit cheeky trying
to get the Snoopers' Charter through when they could do all this
anyway."

And you'd be right.

Even without the Snoopers' Charter, GCHQ's been able to intercept
terrorists' web use for at least 3 years. But the Home Office argued
that they needed the Snoopers' Charter to get intelligence on
terrorists.

Now that claim seems even more nonsensical and misleading than it did
at the time.

ORG was at the forefront of the campaign against the Snoopers'
Charter. We worked really hard to:

*inform and influence politicians, the media and other NGOs so
everyone knew the problems with the Government's plans
*help ORG supporters tell the Government why they opposed the
Snoopers' Charter
*produce our Digital Surveillance to present everyone with a better
alternative - accountable and targeted surveillance

And it worked! Thanks to the huge opposition to the plans, Nick Clegg
blocked the Snoopers' Charter.

But with Tempora and RIPA, we've got an even greater challenge.

If we want to reform RIPA to stop GCHQ abusing the law and invading
everyone's privacy, there's a lot to do.

We really need to:

1. Grow ORG's base of digital rights activists even further so we can
maintain public pressure
2. Spend more time talking to politicians and the media so we can keep
pushing for reform of RIPA
3. Keep on doing the in-depth research and policy work that will
provide the arguments to win the debate on surveillance

Inevitably, increasing the amount of work we do costs more money.

At the moment, about 30,000 people like you subscribe to ORG's emails
and take part in our campaigns. But only around 1700 supporters chip
in an average of ?5 a month.

That's why I'm emailing you today.

I'm asking you to get even more involved with ORG's work by joining us
as an ORG supporter: https://www.edirectdebit.com/openrightsgroup/

As well as the knowledge that you're helping defend everyone's digital
rights, you'll also get a free copy of Tim Wu's The Master Switch when
you donate ?5 a month or more.

And if you join ORG before 10AM on Friday 5th July (that's this
Friday) you'll automatically be entered into a draw to win two tickets
to see Graham Linehan's new play The Ladykillers.

The winner will go to London's West End for the prestigious Press
Night performance on Tuesday 9th July. After the show, you'd go to the
after-show party with the cast and producers of the show.

https://www.edirectdebit.com/openrightsgroup/

So...defend privacy and freedom of expression, become a member of the
UK's biggest digital rights movement and get a chance to see one of
the best new plays around.

I hope you decide that now's the right time to join ORG. We really
need your help.
https://www.edirectdebit.com/openrightsgroup/

Regards,

Ed Paton-Williams
Campaigner
Open Rights Group

[1] GCHQ taps fibre-optic cables for secret access to world's
communications - Guardian - 21/5/2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa

This email was delivered to: bozena w umk.pl If you wish to opt out of
future emails, you can do so here.

----- Koniec przekazanej wiadomości -----

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska
Biblioteka Uniwersytecka w Toruniu
Zastępca dyrektora ds. Informacji i Innowacji
87-100 Toruń
ul. Gagarina 13
tel.: (48+56) 6114417
komórka: 669601898.