[WMCEE-l] Movement Charter Drafting Committee: CEE affiliates selector

Tisza Gergő gtisza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:31:47 CEST 2021

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:55 AM Mykola Kozlenko <mycola-k at ukr.net> wrote:

> On one hand, they are afraid that if the community selects, say, two
> English Wikipedians and one English Wiktionarist, our committee will not
> select anyone from English community because of perceived
> over-representation (but would have selected at least one otherwise).

Yeah but wouldn't that happen anyway? In the absence of information,
wouldn't the selectors assume that most or all of the elected members will
be from the Global North, mostly from English-speaking wikis, and the rest
from the other large wikis (which seems like the likely outcome - 2 enwiki
candidates, 2-3 English candidates from Wikidata, Commons, smaller English
projects, and a few from German, French etc. wikis) and try to compensate
for that? I don't see how a process change would put people from the
English-speaking wikis at a significant disadvantage. I can see why they
would feel that the process as a whole puts them at a disadvantage, but the
change in the ordering of events wouldn't really affect that.