[WMCEE-l] Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2020

Kiril Simeonovski kiril.simeonovski at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:44:25 CEST 2020

Dear all,

I hope you are fine and healthy amid the difficult times.

After the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2020
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2020> was cancelled
and postponed for 2021 due the COVID-19 pandemic, the members of the
programme committee came up with the idea of organising an online
conference in order to keep continuity and discuss the major ongoings in
the Wikimedia movement.

The online event is planned to take place as the Wikimedia CEE Online
Meeting 2020
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Online_Meeting_2020> and it
will be labelled with the slogan "Stay Stronger Online!". We have not fixed
the exact dates for the event yet and decided to initiate a community poll
with three options in the second half of September and the beginning of
October. *You are invited to take part in the poll to determine the dates
for the event
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Online_Meeting_2020/Dates>
that is running from 27 July to 2 August 2020. *

The programme for the event will be modest compared to the in-person
conferences because of the technical difficulties and the different
participants' environment. That said, there will be only one session at a
time, the total number of sessions at the conferences will be 10 to 12 and
the duration of the sessions will be 45 to 60 minutes (see blank schedule
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Online_Meeting_2020/Programme#Schedule>).
As regards the topics, we agreed to reserve time slots for the following
ones:
* CEE & Strategy Transition Design
* Wikimedia & COVID-19 pandemic
* Introduction to Abstract Wikipedia
* CEE Spring and beyond
* CEE Online Seminars

The rest of the programme will be filled with session proposals received
through a call for submissions with three tracks in the submission process:
COVID-19, Basic capacity development and Advanced capacity development. We
strongly encourage proposals in the form of lightning talks focusing on
successful online initiatives amid the COVID-19 pandemic. *You can submit
your session proposal
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Online_Meeting_2020/Submissions>
from 1 to 31 August 2020.*

We highly appreciate the assistance from our colleagues from Wikimedia
Polska, who have already organised their annual conference online and
continuously share their learning. In this light, any comment, question or
suggestion regarding this event from the other CEE communities will be
highly appreciated.

At the end, we acknowledge that the best way to stir interest is by
communicating in one's native language, so we appreciate it if you can
spread the word about this online conference to your communities in your
language.

Stay safe and healthy!

Best regards,
Kiril