[WMCEE-l] Fwd: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliations Committee: Call for Candidates
abartov at wikimedia.org
Sat Jun 10 04:38:22 CEST 2017
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliations Committee: Call for Candidates
To: Wikimedia Movement Affiliates discussion list <
affiliates at lists.wikimedia.org>, Wikimedia Mailing List <
wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding
volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and
user groups – is looking for new members!
The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of
volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review
applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the
different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate
bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters,
thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.
The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every
twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining during the
mid-year process will serve an extended term ending in December 2019.
Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with
volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity,
and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of
different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and
- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future
of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a
monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building
and organising are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills
at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including
contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering
volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission
around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the
experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their
communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational
development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional
As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral
engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2017 member selection process
will include a public review and comment period. All applications received
by the committee will be posted on Meta at
and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about
At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on
by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking
into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors,
Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final
decision will be made by mid-July 2017, with new members expected to join
later that month.
*How to apply*
If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your
application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your
application to affcom at lists.wikimedia.org by 30 June 2017. Your application
must include the following information:
- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation
for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:
(1) How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on
effective projects and initiatives?
(2) What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia
movement in the next three years?
(3) What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you
a uniquely qualified candidate?
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the
committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone
about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this
call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!
Chair, Affiliations Committee
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
New messages to: Wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
<mailto:wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the WMCEE-l