[WMCEE-l] SOS! Sysop terror in Azerbaijani Wikipedia

wertuose wertuose at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:45:15 CEST 2015

*Dear all,*Sorry for such a long e-mail, but we need your help, so I want
to express everything about the topic. I write this e-mail on behalf of
Azerbaijani Wikimedians User Group.

One of az-wiki sysops - Irada is terrorizing az-wiki users. According to
her new admissions in private Facebook chats she was behind torture of 2
our sysops (Cekli829 and NKOzi) in November, December 2014, offline, real
life torture. NKOzi left Wikipedia and requested removal of his sysop
permissions at the time. Cekli829 stopped editing for a month but later was
still under pressure. Irada blamed them of being representatives of
organized group working against Azerbaijan because of their national
minority origin and according to her own words she informed "related
authorities".

She made the same accusations in 2011 against the group of az-wiki users
who were opposing a book which she put in az-wikisource, because it was in
Russian. But she proclaimed that this article has a great role in
propaganda. When we asked her to place this in ru-wikisource as it's in
Russian she denied saying that it will be deleted from there. Then she
started campaign against this group of users in az-wiki and in local online
media accusing them of being national minority members and in privatization
of az-wiki. So we decided to leave that article. But she is in a conflict
with all those users since then. And some of those users are Azerbaijani
Wikimedians User Group members now. We invited her to join WMAZ user group
at the moment of its creation in September 2014. First she said that she
supports us, she will join, but then she didn’t came to first user group
meeting and stood against us in all discussions in az-wiki.

And now, few weeks ago she started new campaign against few of our user
group members blaming them of being national and also sexual minority group
members. She frightens them with torture in real life, writes to their
employers on Facebook about their contributions to Wikipedia, asking them
to do something with their employees or she will start a campaign in
Azerbaijani media and inform some authorities which will “judge” users who
made contributions which she don’t like. In private chats in Facebook she
says that she knows persons who will torture or even can KILL users if she
asks them to do it. Two of our experienced users (Sefer_azeri and
Cekli829), which gave years to az-wiki left this project few days ago as a
result of her threats. We have screenshots of her private chats with users
where she menaces them with torture.

She has some supporters in az-wiki, mainly those who work with her in the
same organization. And as she positions herself as the protector of
national interests and “morality” in Wikipedia by blaming some active
users, she has support of some users who share her views. That’s why we
can’t

*remove her adminship.*

In fact she cannot accept the fact that she is not the main person in
az-wiki as it was 7-8 years ago. At that time many people in Azerbaijan
thought that Wikipedia is operated by governmental organization where she
works and every time when authorities saw mistakes or unacceptable facts in
Wikipedia articles they were asking this organization to correct them. But
az-wiki grew in last years, our user group became popular in social media,
people write us to help them. So she is going crazy because of it and
started new campaign against us.

So we need help and advices of whole Wikimedia community, but first I wrote
here to hear you first as most of our countries have many common problems,
so maybe you know how to solve such problems inside Wikimedia.

*Best regards,*

*Elgun Ataliyev*

*User:Wertuose*

*Group Leader*