[Koalicja-l] Fwd: ORG News: Three Wins & Free tickets

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska Bozena.Bednarek-Michalska w bu.umk.pl
Wto, 4 Lis 2014, 11:17:39 CET

----- Przekazana wiadomość od: ruth w openrightsgroup.org -----
     Data: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 05:04:07 -0500 (EST)
       Od: Ruth Coustick-Deal -ORG <ruth w openrightsgroup.org>
    Temat: ORG News: Three Wins & Free tickets
       Do: bozena w umk.pl

*Open Rights Group Newsletter*

Free ORGCon2014 tickets & three big successes

There are lots of reasons to join ORG. You can read below about our
amazing successes: legal interventions achieving protections for
transparency and mistakes. We've raised money to take the Error 451
project forward and Parliament brought format shifting and parody into
law!

But right now there's one excellent bonus reason to give us your
support: A free ticket for ORGCon2014 to see Cory Doctorow and others
give inspirational talks.

JOIN HERE: www.openrightsgroup.org/join

ORGCon is our annual conference for the digital rights community and a
  great opportunity to see some of the legends of digital rights
speak. Plus we have have a plethora of expert presenters from across
the broad range of online rights interests - journalists, businesses,
hackers, academics politicians, lawyers, activists!

Take a look at some of the interesting sessions at ORGCon2014:
https://orgcon.openrightsgroup.org/2014/programme

You can see all this for FREE if you join ORG today:
www.openrightsgroup.org/join

(Details on your free ticket are in your welcome email. Alternatively
buy your ticket here. https://orgcon.openrightsgroup.org/2014/tickets)

*Success 1:
Error 451 project makes court orders public*

We would like to say a big thank you to all those who donated in
response to our request to help us obtain and transcribe court orders
on blocked websites. We're delighted to say that thanks to you we
exceeded our target, receiving over ?1,590.
Elizabeth, our Legal Director, recently went to the High Court and was
able to collect 35 blocking orders ready to be transcribed. We're
proud to be able to finally start work on the transcription and make
this information public. The first 6 have now been put up on our Error
451 site: http://www.451unavailable.org/

However, there are many physical pages of legalese that needs to be
written up and made transparent.  If you have some legal experince and
the time to help us transcribe the orders we would be very grateful.
It's a big task, but with a Wikipedia-style team of volunteers we can
make web blocking open.

If you are able to offer some time please get in touch by emailing
volunteer w openrightsgroup.org.

*Success 2:
Format shifting and parody legal at last*
On 1 October 2014, new rules for personal copying, parody, and
quotation came into force in the UK.

This was a major victory for ORG after seven years of campaigning for
these reforms. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this happen!

The first new exception for 'personal copying' means you can now
backup your music collection, or even format shift it, (eg. turning
CDs into MP3s) so long as it's for your personal use. Breaking DRM,
the anti-copying technology often built into DVDs and other media, is
still unlawful. However, the legislation does allow you to apply to
the Secretary of State if you want to remove the Digital Rights
Management (DRM) access controls.

The law also includes a parody exception, which means you can use
copyright material in order to create a spoof, pastiche or parody.
It's a brilliant win which means that comedy and criticial pastiche
are at last protected. You can read more details about the new law
here:
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2014/victory-format-shifting-and-parody-clear-last-hurdle

*Success 3:
ORG's safeguards accepted in website blocking case*

ORG's intervention had a significant impact on a landmark case about
internet trade mark infringement that was handed down 2 weeks ago by
the High Court in London.

The court decided that it could orders ISPs (Internet Service
Providers) to block specific websites selling fake goods.
However, Mr Justice Arnold adopted the key ORG submission that such
orders should always contain safeguards against abuse.
He also adopted ORG's proposals that information on the blocking
should be included on landing pages and there should be "sunset
clauses" as safeguards against abuse. He thanked ORG for its "brief,
moderate and helpful" written submissions. We're very pleased to be
taking on this kind of work, and making an important impact on web
blocking transparency.

David Allen Green, lawyer at Preiskel & Co LLP, who acted for ORG pro
bono said that "We hope that this intervention will go some way to
help ensure that future claimants cannot use blocking orders to
restrict legitimate activity or free speech."

The case was covered in the Guardian and Bloomberg, and you can read
more details about it in our blog.
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/press/releases/judgment-recognises-open-rights-groups-intervention-in-landmark-website-blocking-case

*CITIZENFOUR Now Out*

Surveillance is a key issue for ORG and that's why we're asking you
bring a friend to see CITIZENFOUR, the new film about Edward Snowden
by Director Laura Poitras.

You can find where the film is showing near you at:
https://citizenfourfilm.com/

In January 2013, Laura Poitras was several years into the making of a
film about abuses of national security in post-9/11 America when she
started receiving encrypted emails from someone identifying himself as
"citizen four". This whistleblower was ready to expose covert
surveillance programs run by the NSA and other intelligence agencies.

In June 2013, Laura and reporter Glenn Greenwald flew to Hong Kong for
the first of many meetings with the man who turned out to be Edward
Snowden. She brought her camera with her. The film that resulted from
this series of tense encounters is absolutely unique in the history of
cinema: a 100% real-life thriller unfolding minute by minute before
our eyes.

https://citizenfourfilm.com/

*Quick Fire News*

As part of the 2014 Privacy and Security Inquiry, the ISC
(Intelligence and Security Commitee) called witnesses to give
statements on Tuesday and Wednesday. Among the witnesses called was
Jim Killock, ORG's Executive Director, who spoke about how security
services are undermining security for all through introducing
backdoors, and the need for stronger oversight.

ORG Co-founder and Advisory Council member Cory Doctorow gave talks to
ORG's local groups in Sheffield and Manchester this month. The
Manchester group hosted at Waterstones as part of the literary
festival and had great attendance, with book signings and lots of
questions. You can get involved with your local ORG Group and put on
events like this.
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/groups/

ORG has applied to intervene in the case brought by MPs Tom Watson and
David David against the Government on the Data Retention and
Investigatory Powers Act. The Government rushed the Act through
Parliament earlier this year.

On 4 October, twenty people got together for ORG's digital-rights
hack-day at Mozilla's community space in Covent Garden. Find out what
happened and how you can help take the projects we started further.
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2014/hacking-for-your-digital-rights

*ORG out and about*

Freeing the Internet: How hard can it be? Thursday, November 6, 2014
6:30 PM Join ORG Manchester and Open Data Manchester for a talk on the
evolution of the internet from Wendy M. Grossman - an award-winning
journalist wars between cyberspace and real life for 20 years
MadLab 36-40 Edge Street, Manchester
http://www.meetup.com/ORG-Manchester/events/203923392/

*Practical Privacy Tools for Everyone; Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 7:00 PM*
Bring your laptops, phones and other devices. ORG Sheffield will help
you to install and understand tools you can use to maintain your
privacy online.
Access Space Unit 1, AVEC Building, 3-7 Sidney Street, Sheffield S1
4RG, Sheffield
http://www.meetup.com/ORG-Sheffield/events/211680042/

*ORGCon2014*
15th - 16th November, 10:00 AM -5:30 PM
ORG's annual conference is a brilliant place to meet other ORG
supporters and to hear from incredible speakers on digital rights
topics.
15th: Franklin, Wilkins Building, King's College London, Waterloo
16th: The Foundry, Oval
https://orgcon.openrightsgroup.org/2014/home

*Open Source and the Cloud for Business 18th November, 14:00*
ORG supporters from Brighton are organising and attending an event on
Open Source and the Cloud for businesses and the public sector.
Sussex County Cricket Club, Hove, BN3 3AN
http://www.omnis-systems.com/en/events/34-open-source-cloud-and-the-benefits-to-your-business?date=2014-11-18-14-00

*Join ORG today!*

Join today and help us do even more to fight to protect fundamental
rights like privacy and free speech.

YOU are what makes our work possible. Without support from donations
we wouldn't be able to do any of the above work.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/join/

Thank you for your support of digital rights!

Best wishes,
Ruth

CC-BY-SA Open Rights Group 2012

Our mailing address is:
11 Marshalsea Road, Borough, London SE1 1EN

Twitter: https://twitter.com/openrightsgroup
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/openrightsgroup
Google+: https://plus.google.com/116543318055985390327/posts

Join us! We need your help to fight for your rights and to keep the
web open and free: https://www.openrightsgroup.org/join

This email was delivered to: bozena w umk.pl If you wish to opt out of
future emails, you can do so here: