[Koalicja-l] Fwd: [Open Rights Group] September - After a Summer of Successes

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska b.michalska w bu.uni.torun.pl
Śro, 7 Wrz 2011, 09:41:34 CEST

do wiadomości

----- Przekazana wiadomość od: nishma w action.openrightsgroup.org -----
     Data: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:16:31 -0400 (EDT)
       Od: Nishma Doshi <nishma w action.openrightsgroup.org>
    Temat: [Open Rights Group] September - After a Summer of Successes
       Do: bozena w umk.pl

Dear Bożena Bednarek-Michalska,

Hope you've had a good summer! We've got plenty of exciting news to
fill your inbox, including various wonderful and marvellous
successes... Carry on reading to find out more.

==SUCCESS #1 The Government backs down on internet and social media bans==

As you may know, Open Rights Group issued an open letter with a group
of leading human rights and civil liberties groups to Home Secretary,
Theresa May highlighting that these new conditions could "overextend
powers in ways that would be susceptible to abuse, restrict
legitimate, free communication and expression and undermine people's
privacy". The good news is that these blocking plans seem to have been
rescinded.

However, social networks may be asked to bend privacy law in order to
"assist" in police "criminal" research. Read more here.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/update-on-the-home-secretarys-social-media-riot-summit

==SUCCESS #2 The Government accepts the Hargreaves Review recommendations==

Some very good news! The Government announced it is broadly accepting
the findings of the Hargreaves review and is looking to implement all
of the recommendations. That includes adopting new 'exceptions' to
copyright including format shifting those old CDs into mp3s, the right
to parody, and a commitment to robust evidence as the driver of
policy. Read our thoughts on the review here.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/a-welcome-response-to-the-hargreaves-review

But this is a rare occasion when we should give the Government some
credit for its thinking on copyright policy. Our campaigning over the
next few months will focus on helping them stay on track. You can read
the Government's full response here.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ipresponse.htm

==JOIN Now==

We depend on your support to protect digital rights. ORG's successes
entirely depend on the kind donations by our members - people like you!

Your regular financial contribution enables ORG to raise awareness of
digital rights issues by staging public events across the country,
lobbying the British and European Parliaments, and monitoring and
engaging with the national and international press.

Join NOW and receive a free book! http://openrightsgroup.org/join/

==Website blocking: a tale of two weeks==

On July 28th, the High Court ruled that BT should forced to block the
website Newzbin. ORG spoke to a number broadcasters that day,
including the Today programme and Channel 4 News, to explain our
position. Website blocking is pointless and dangerous; it won't help
the creative industries and has lots of possible dangers including the
blocking of legitimate content. We don't think it should feature on
policy makers' menu for online regulation.

The following week the Government announced that, after a review by
Ofcom, they would drop the website blocking provisions from the
Digital Economy Act. You can read a run down of this and other
copyright court cases here.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/a-big-week-for-copyright-in-the-courts

There's absolutely no doubt that your letters to MPs have helped us
make a lot of headway highlighting the problems with website blocking
as a policy response. We're in a good position to continue working to
see it off the policy makers' menu. Thank you!

==Term extension is back. Again.==

Back in April we asked ORG supporters to write to their MEPs to help
campaign against a Directive that would extend the term of copyright
protection in sound recordings (see our previous posts and 'Sound
Copyright' for reasons why). We had a fantastic response, with
thousands of letters sent to MEPs across Europe. But the European
Parliament has not been given another vote. The Directive remained in
play, on the verge of being passed.The proposal will likely go before
the 'Coreper' meeting on 7th September. The nations that were blocking
the proposal have changed their position, so it is probably going to
be waved through and swiftly become EU law.

We have written to the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Secretary
of State for Business to set out our concerns: that this runs contrary
to the economic evidence and the Government's recent commitment to
evidence-based IP policy, specifically in light of the findings of the
recent Hargreaves review. We have also requested that the UK opposes
the Directive.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/copyright-term-extension-returns.-again

==SUCCESS #3 ORG gets British Library to publish their Google agreement==

This month we finally obtained the agreement between Google and the
British Library for the digitisation of public domain books under
FOIA, with an analysis of the implications for the public domain. We
feel that while that it is a good thing that these materials are going
to be accesible to the public, the ownership of public data will be
held by a corporation that may not have public interest at heart.

Therefore, we believe that a national strategy for the digitisation of
culture, supported by an adequate mix of government and private
funding, must be implemented without that power being held by a
handful of businesses whose aims are to make profit over public
interest. Our whole analysis can be found here.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/access-to-the-agreement-between-google-books-and-the-british-library

==Public Data Corporation: friend or foe?==

Last month we hinted that the Public Data Corporation was back in the
cards, and indeed it has made a comeback in the form of a
consultation. We remain worried that the PDC could produce bad
results, if it is set up to sell government data for revenue. Key data
needs to be free to use to build a modern digital economy. Another
simultaneous consultation is taking place about Open Data in general,
which has reframed data in relation to public services modernisation.
We are looking closely at this: the public interest and government
transparency are ORG's core concerns.

We are preparing the responses to both consultations and organising a
public event at the end of next month, which we'd love to see you at.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/ourwork/reports/our-view-on-the-public-data-corporation

==ORGZine==

Our Zine - for members and others to write about all sorts of digital
issues - has had a slightly slower summer, but looks perky for the
autumn. Meanwhile, we've had some excellent articles:

* The Lives of Others, Manijeh Khan on Data Retention in the EU:
http://zine.openrightsgroup.org/comment/2011/the-lives-of-others-%E2%80%93-eu-review-of-the-data-retention-directive

* Jonathan Kent's review of ORG's once Executive Director and now
Advisor, Becky Hogge's excellent new book: Barefoot into Cyberspace:
http://zine.openrightsgroup.org/reviews/2011/review:-barefoot-into-cyberspace-by-becky-hogge

* And our set of articles on "Hargreaves: from paper to policy"
http://zine.openrightsgroup.org/hargreaves/

If you are interested in writing for us, send ideas and submissions to
orgzine.editor w openrightsgroup.org

You can also follow the @ORGZine on Twitter

==Daily Mail "donates" ?1,000 to ORG for copyright infringement==

Just in: we've received a cheque for ?1,000 from the Daily Mail's
publishers, after they admitted publishing photos from Alice in
Wonderland blog without permission. Featuring ultra-skinny mannikins,
they had asked Alice for permission, but refused her ?250 fee.

"I don't like the Daily Mail, and didn't want to give them commercial
use of my pictures for free." she explains.

But they published anyway. Alice wasn't quite pleased at this blatant
commercial abuse of her copyright, and demanded they donate a grand to
the copyfighters at ORG, alongside MIND. After some excuses, they
relented, and today we received their cheque. Thanks Alice!

http://www.wonderlandblog.com/wonderland/2011/08/the-daily-mail-knowingly-and-commercially-used-my-photos-despite-my-denying-them-permission.html

Thanks for reading,

Nishma Doshi
Community & Events Officer, Open Rights Group

----- Koniec przekazanej wiadomości -----

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska
Biblioteka Uniwersytecka w Toruniu
Zastępca dyrektora ds. Informacji i Innowacji
87-100 Toruń
ul. Gagarina 13
tel.: (48+56) 6114417
komórka: 669601898.