[Koalicja-l] Fwd: [Communia-members] Europeana Public Domain Charter

Bożena Bednarek-Michalska b.michalska w bu.uni.torun.pl
Czw, 15 Kwi 2010, 12:32:08 CEST

----- Przekazana wiadomość od: pk w kl.nl -----
     Data: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:18:28 +0200
       Od: Paul Keller <pk w kl.nl>
    Temat: [Communia-members] Europeana Public Domain Charter
       Do: communia-members w lists.communia-project.eu

Dear all,

as some of you may have seen Europeana has published the the Europeana
Public Domain Charter yesterday (available at
http://version1.europeana.eu/web/europeana-project/publications see
the announcement to Europeana members below). This charter has once
started as the sibling of our public domain manifesto (the initial
version was forked from an early version of the PD manifesto somewhen
in the summer of 2009). Since then the charter has evolved
considerably to accommodate for the specific perspective of Europeana
and its contributors and is specifically addressing questions that are
relevant to cultural (and scientific) heritage institutions.

While some parts of the charter are somewhat 'weaker' than the
manifesto the overall message of the charter is very much in line with
the manifesto. As the manifesto the charter makes a strong argument
for the need to preserve the vital role of the Public Domain in the
digital environment.

As far as i am concerned it is quite remarkable that many of the
positions taken by the Public Domain manifesto have been adopted by an
organization as big and complex as Europeana and for me this
illustrates the impact that our - relatively humble - thematic network
can have.

Please help spreading the Public Domain Charter (if you are in a
position o do so) and feel free to send your feedback to this list
(and to europeana at info w europeana.eu)

all the best from amsterdam,
Paul Keller

Begin forwarded message:

--